Saturday, February 12, 2022

Cherry Pomegranate Pie Recipe

Cherry Pomegranate Pie Recipe

By Angela McGowan

Does the thought of making pie crust send shivers up your spine. I know some people that actually have the magic touch with pie crust, but I’m not one of them. I’ve relied for the most part on Pillsbury or Betty Crocker pie crusts for most all my baking for as long as I can remember. Every time I’ve attempted a homemade pie crust for a fruit pie like this, it hasn’t been the best.

Fortunately, everything changed for me last week when my husband bought home the single best cherry pie I’ve ever had in my life. One of his patient’s had made it and sent him home with our dessert for that evening. The crust was perfection, better than anything I’ve had. I begged him to ask her for the recipe, and later that week, he brought home the holy grail recipe of all pie crust recipes.

This recipe has a secret ingredient that I had never heard of before, vinegar. After some quick searching on my phone, I learned that the vinegar makes a chemical reaction that prevents all that tough gluten from forming. I’ve read you can also use orange, lemon or lime juice to get the same effect. The result is the most tender, easy to work with pie crust ever.

Since it’s cherry season, I had to use a bag of fresh sweet cherries. I pitted them, added some sugar and pomegranate juice and simmered them with flour until thick and rich. Then I baked the pie until golden.

I made my crust a little thicker than I had intended, but it doesn’t matter with this recipe, the crust was still tender. Her original recipe calls for shortening. I changed it to butter and the crust was still perfect. Either works well, although shortening will give you more of a flakier crust, and butter gives more of a crumbly crust.

I tried to wait until the pie cooled, but I just couldn’t, so the cherry goodness puddled.

Yield: 8 servings

Cherry Pomegranate Pie

Ingredients:

For the Filling:

  • 4 cups fresh pitted cherries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • a pinch of salt

For the Crust (makes enough for this recipe plus one more single crust to freeze for a later date):

  • 4 cups AP flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 cup cold butter, cut in pats
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1/2 cup cold water

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 425°. Add cherries, sugar, flour and pomegranate juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until juice is very thick and dark, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
  2. While filling is cooking crumb together with a pastry knife or fork the flour, sugar, salt and butter. Add 1 egg, the vinegar and cold water. Mix until just combined. Divide dough in three balls. Refrigerate or freeze the third ball of dough for later use.
  3. Roll the other two balls of dough out and place one pie dough in pie plate. Spoon in cherry filling and place on top pie dough. Crimp edges and cut slits for venting in the top of the pie. Place in preheated 425° oven. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

Cherry Pomegranate Pie Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment